Tuesday 13 October 2015

Inspirations- Miss Georgiou

Introduction:
Inspirations is a convention or something that is included in a sequence of a film.Inspirations gives you a clearer idea as to what you would need to analyse for your own thriller sequence. We need inspiration as it makes us have a clearer understanding of what to include in a thriller genre. We could take inspiration from other thriller films and other pieces of work and make it out own. The inspirations taken from others shows that I've researched the inspiration ideas.

In one of my posts I have analysed before it was based on Editing; I analysed the film Cabin in the Woods, as this particular sequence is one of the most popular thriller sequences. In this sequence there was mise-en-scene, cinematography and sound, but I chose editing as this is what made it clear that it was a thriller film as the editing was clear to a thriller genre. Within my thriller opening sequence I will take into consideration that mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing and soundtrack is always key in a thriller opening sequence as it makes it more effective and makes the narrative more understanding to the audience.

In the film Cabin In The Woods I analysed the editing techniques. The first editing technique I picked up on was a reaction shot, this was used when the werewolf growled and tried to attack the girl inside the box lift; the camera then turned on her face which showed the audience her fear and horror towards what was going on. Within my thriller sequence I would use this as an inspiration as it would show the audience what's going on in the sequence and one of the characters reactions to it. Reaction shots are to show the audience the character's feelings and emotions to what is happening in the film. It shows the audience a lot about the character, if the characters reaction is scared and in fear it would show the audience that their vulnerable to another character in the film.


 Another editing technique which is used is a shot reverse shot this is used to show the audience both characters reaction in the sequence, this was used in Cabin In The Woods when the nightmare for the girl begins walking towards the box lift and stops right near her face, this shot reverse shot is showing us how one of the characters is emotionally stable and intimidating whilst the other is screaming in fear. This shows the audience that different emotions can be portrayed in a thriller film which can have a different effect on the audience. With my thriller opening sequence I would use this as an inspiration as it will create an effect on the audience, as it will let them see how my characters in my thriller react to certain things being said during the conversation.


Within my research in analysing this sequence; slow editing was used when the demon ballerina girl turned around this is to create suspension and a mystery (which could be seen as an enigma) as she's taking her time to reveal her identity, Within my Opening thriller sequence this will inspire me because now I have a clearer idea of how I will create tension in revealing a victim or horror to the audience. For my opening sequence slow editing would be relevant as my narrative I have created is based on a innocent girl being fooled into believing everything she is told and is taken away by a mafia that have a hidden identity; until she later realises her boyfriend is part of it which will be revealed with the slow editing technique.

However in previous posts such as my one about Sound which I analysed The strangers for; this sequence was based on a young woman stuck in her home, hearing intruders outside making a lot of noise trying to get into her home. Without the certain sound techniques that is used in this sequence it wouldn't be as successful as it has been, because the sounds in this make it more understanding of a thriller film.

In this sequence, when the lady walks up to the door she sees an intruder and falls back, she knocks a record player; this is when the most effective sound begins playing. Throughout the sequence after this sound is played you think that someone is going to get her as the sound, sounds like someone saying "I'm coming to get you" this creates tension to the audience throughout as you wonder if someone does get her. This has inspired my ideas for my thriller opening as it has given me the idea of using a certain soundtrack to build suspense as it will make the audience feel uneasy and will engage them more to what is going to happen.

Also in this sequence non-diegetic sounds are included when there's metal scraping outside her home, this happens at the beginning of the sequence, straight away shows the audience that there's someone outside waiting for her, creates an enigma as your unaware as to who is out there. For my thriller opening this would inspire me as the smallest sounds such as throwing something in the background will be a noise that will be a mystery to the audience and will create an enigma which is conventional to a thriller genre.

Lastly I analysed the sequence MAMA, in this sequence a high angle shot was used this was to show the vulnerability of the two young girls that were about to be tortured by a demon, this showed the audience that something bad was going to happen to the two girls as the shot is highlighting their weakness. For my thriller opening sequence I will be using a high angle shot as this research has influenced me, it has also shown me that for my opening sequence it will make it clearer to the audience who the weak and vulnerable people are. High angle shots are used on the victims, which will make it clearer to the audience who's the good people and whose the bad people.






1 comment:

  1. This post demonstrates some understanding of why inspirations are essential to consider, especially when creating a narrative for a thriller film. However, you have only focused on the micro elements and you need to be more specific with the codes and conventions of a thriller, to demonstrate further research and planning techniques.

    Aim-
    1) Watch SPAG
    2) When discussing your inspirations and what your ideas are, you need to start relating these ideas to your individual narrative ideas, to demonstrate planning skills.
    3) Add screenshots/video links to support the points that you have made

    ReplyDelete